ABC License

Sponsors may be required to obtain an ABC license directly from the state agency for events where alcohol is served. (Note: Catering companies that serve alcohol already comply with this ABC requirement.) The following are conditions where an ABC license is required:

  • If the sponsor is charging money for the event. ("Charging" can include entrance fees, donations, purchase of a cup for unlimited beverages, etc.)
  • If the event is open to the public.
  • If the space is open or in a public area.
  • If access to the event area is open.

For more information on ABC licenses, see the Virginia Department of Alcoholic Beverage Control website.