To Members of the University Community:
We write to invite you to the 22nd Annual Lighting of the Lawn on Friday, December 1st, from 7:00 to 9:30 p.m.
In the wake of the attacks on September 11th, 2001, a group of students began Lighting of the Lawn to bring back a sense of joy to Grounds by stringing lights on the Lawn and inviting others to join them for reflection and community. While the event has grown exponentially in the last 22 years, this year’s Lighting of the Lawn is committed to uniting the community by bringing light, joy, and celebration to Grounds. We hope to see you on Friday.
This year, we would like to invite the UVA community to join us at the Disglow! At its core, LOTL celebrates the spirit of community and the joy and strength of togetherness. Despite hardships, LOTL shines bright and is a beacon of hope for our community. We hope that this year is no exception. What is more fun than a night of glow-in-the-dark disco fun? Wear your brightest disco outfit, and bring your glow sticks! Disglow is meant to uplift our community and celebrate together as the fall semester draws to a close.
Doors will open at 6:00 p.m. with an opening performance from Weekends and Wednesdays on the South Lawn. Starting at 7:00 p.m., the event will feature several a cappella and dance groups, with the hallmark lightshow to be projected at the end of the night. There will also be an open reception on the South Lawn that includes food trucks with food and beverages for purchase, photo stations, a gratitude table, and so much more!
- Access to the Lawn and Rotunda will be restricted to only Lawn/Range residents and event staff beginning at 4:00 p.m. and will open up to the public at 6:00 p.m., at which time all enhanced security protocols listed below will be in place.
- Old Cabell Hall, New Cabell Hall, Cocke, Garrett, Wilson and Rouss/Robertson halls will be restricted beginning at 4:00 p.m.
- Students, faculty and staff needing to exit these buildings between 4:00 and 9:30 p.m. will be directed to exit through one of the back or side doors. Should they wish to access the Lawn, they will need to pass through one of the security entrances starting at 6:00 p.m.
- Entrances and walk-through metal detectors will be located on the Garrett Hall sidewalk (near the Amphitheatre) and the Rouss/Robertson Hall sidewalk. These will be the ONLY areas to enter the event. Re-admittance is permitted.
- Attendees requesting ADA-accessible entrances can enter through any West side entrance with metal detectors (Hotel A, Patterson Alley, Garrett Hall).
- Restrooms will be available near Pavilions VIII and X, behind the Thomas Jefferson statue near South Lawn, and near Garrett Hall.
- ADA-accessible bathrooms are located in McGuffey Alley.
- There will be no clear bag policy in effect. However, specific lines for individuals entering with a bag or backpack will be located at each entrance for search by event personnel.
- In order to expedite the security process, we recommend you come without a bag or use a clear bag.
- Empty water bottles are permitted and can be filled at the water filling stations near Pavilions VII and VIII and on the South Lawn.
- See a list of prohibited items and FAQs.
More information and a link to join a livestream of the event can be found on our LOTL website or on our Instagram @lotluva.
We hope that you join us on the Lawn this Friday. In the meantime, please do not hesitate to reach out with any questions or concerns.
Riley Lorgus and Frances Carraway
Lighting of the Lawn Co-Chairs