Image posted with permission. See text-only version at The Spectrum of Hazing Behaviors Description.
If you're feeling uncomfortable with what you're being asked to do to join or maintain membership in a group, answering yes to any of the following questions may indicate hazing:
- Are activities causing you emotional or physical distress?
- Could pictures of this activity keep you from getting a job?
- Would you feel uncomfortable if your family was watching?
- Are there penalties for disclosing group secrets?
- Hoover, N., & Pollard, N. (1999). National survey: Initiation rites and athletics for NCAA sports teams. Accessed 18 April 2022.
- Allan, E.J. and Madden, M. (2008) Hazing in View: College Students at Risk.