Dear UVA Class of 2027 Families:
Greetings and welcome! We are so pleased you and your student have chosen the University of Virginia. We are excited about your family joining the UVA family.
From challenging classes to esteemed faculty to activities that literally give students hundreds of ways to explore their interests, UVA offers a student experience that is truly excellent. The Division of Student Affairs, which I am honored to lead, seeks to help students develop as holistic and multidimensional individuals. Students achieve much more than a degree here. They learn to be part of a community that values learning, service, integrity and citizen leadership.
We look forward to sharing much more with you and your student as you begin this new chapter.
Student and Parent/Family Orientation
Summer Orientation, a two-day program on the UVA Grounds, marks the official beginning of your student’s entry into the University. A program for parents or family members will run concurrently with the student program. We strongly encourage you to attend. You will learn about UVA, meet University faculty, staff, other parents, and come to understand more about the opportunities available to you and your student. The deadline to register for Orientation is June 1 (your student should register you for the parent/family program).
Communication with Parents
If your student provided your email address on the application for admission, then we will use this address in sending you periodic updates throughout the academic year. If your student did not provide your email address, you may sign up for these updates by going to the online form. Anyone in your family is welcome to sign up.
Getting Involved as a Parent, Guardian or Family Member
A few other ways to stay informed and be involved in UVA life:
- UVA Daily Report. This e-newsletter, delivered every weekday, is a great way to stay up to date on what’s happening at UVA. To sign up, simply go to the Sign-Up box on the website.
- UVA Homepage. For high priority information, you will want to bookmark UVA’s homepage. In times of emergency or inclement weather, this page will be updated frequently.
- UVA Alerts. The University sends notifications to the community if an imminent threat arises. All parents are welcomed and encouraged to sign up for these alerts.
- Summer Send-Offs and Other Activities. Throughout the school year, UVA’s Office of Engagement hosts hundreds of events in locations around the globe as well as virtually. Watch for emailed invitations, and stay tuned for information about Summer Send-Off gatherings taking place in many areas in July and August.
- Family Weekend (Nov. 3-5). We hope to see you during this special fall weekend, which includes a football game against Georgia Tech on Saturday. Discounted tickets are now available. We recommend making hotel reservations as soon as possible since local accommodations fill quickly. The Family Weekend website will be updated with more details in August. Take a look at last year’s schedule to get a sense of all that will be offered.
You are an important partner in your student’s education. Thank you for preparing them to continue their educational journey at UVA. We welcome you to the larger UVA family, and we hope Orientation this summer will be the first of many times you will visit the UVA Grounds.
Robyn S. Hadley
Vice President and Dean of Students
Chief Student Affairs Officer